Thursday 12 February 2009

Get On With It!

A recent post by Andrew reminds me that I haven't blogged here for some considerable time. 5 or 6 weeks I think.

So now, when I'm supposed to be tucked-up in bed dreaming about whatever it is that I can admit to MLYW that I dream about (cheese, Wynona Rider and scary clowns), I find myself composing a post to keep you all informed.

So, my 2 weeks work turned out to be exactly that. Not a thrilling job, unfortunately. I was sub-contracting for a colleague at a large supermarket, installing some database software onto around 350 of their servers. Trouble was, the incumbent permanent personnel seemed to make it pretty clear that they resented a contractor being brought in to do the work when they could have done it themselves - which only begged the question, why didn't they do it themselves? Anyway, I got the job 95% finished and was only unable to complete the task because each time I asked for the resources or input from people to complete the job, it wasn't forthcoming. Hey ho. So my contract finished after 2 weeks.

If you happen to know of any Oracle DBA jobs going - do give me a nudge, won't you?

Now I'm signing-on again and looking for another contract - this time, hopefully, something to take me up to the summer.

In the meantime, I've cast the play which I will be directing for production at the end of May and we are rehearsing the Ottershaw Players Farrago which is on in only, gulp, two weeks. And I really need to learn my lines!

No comments: