Tuesday 10 August 2010

One Day

I've just finished reading One Day by David Nicholls and thought I'd recommend it to you.

Emma and Dexter meet on 15th July 1988.  For the next twenty-odd years we see snapshots of their friendship, and key scenes in their relationships with others, on the anniversary of that meeting. So each episode takes place on subsequent 15th Julys.

If you were born in the mid 1960s, or you ever had a friend who you hoped would become a lover, then you'll love this book.  If this doesn't apply to you, you'll still like it.  It's funny, moving, perceptive and deep while still being easy to read.

The best book I've read for a long, long time.

2 comments:

Jon Sandys said...

Sounds like suitable holiday material to digest while the kids build sandcastles. I'll see if they've got it at Asda at lunchtime.

Jon Sandys said...

.......Mmmmm, I suppose that was a bit optimistic. Ordered from Amazon instead.