Friday 19 January 2007

Goodbyeeeee!

It's my last day in my current job today.

I feel like going to the pub right NOW! But I've got to do a presentation at 3pm for my erstwhile colleagues. They think it's going to be about Oracle database tuning.

Instead I think I'll do a slideshow about The Merry Wives of Windsor instead!

About this point in a blog would be the usual place to review the last 4.75 years of employment. Note down the good times and the bad. Trumpet my achievements.

But I don't really feel I've achieved anything, workwise, in all that time.

A lack of training; no support from management; risible pay reviews; staff morale through the floor; appalling staff appraisal system (what system?); permanently short-staffed teams with too much work (the good teams anyway) - the teams that do a piss-poor job seem to have plenty of time on their hands and loads of staff to while it away. Why is that?

Anyway, enough of my moaning. I've been telling my bosses all this for the past year or so and it doesn't seem to have made a farthing's difference.

So, I'm off.

To a job with better prospects; where I'm directly responsible to the customers I support; with far fewer databases to support; in a more stable environment; with decent training; and the chance to learn genuine new skills.

Oh, and the commute is a lot easier - even after we move house.

And they are going to pay me quite a bit more money too.


I'ts not the 'dream' job that I was wishing for here a while ago - it's still in the IT industry, so it couldn't possibly be - and that dream job really IS just a dream at present.

But I genuinely feel that it stands a chance of rekindling my enthusiasm. I'm looking forward to Monday morning...

3 comments:

MaryB said...

Congrats, PT! At least you'll have time to get a fresh perspective on things. And I've found that nothing's wasted, workwise. You never know what the new job might lead to.

And I don't recall that you ever posted pictures frin Wind in the Willows . . . ;-)

petercmoore said...

Wind In The Willows photos WILL follow. As soon as I have my hands on a copy of them!

I've just been reminded of one definite achievement in my last job. I met my lovely young wife there.

Which was nice!

Clare said...

how has your first week been?