Wednesday 5 September 2007

Wilde? No, I'm Quite Relaxed Actually

Just a quick post today.

Ottershaw Players has chosen a play for our May 2008 slot in the Rhoda McGaw Theatre, Woking, which I am going to direct.

The play is Lord Arthur Savile's Crime. I've started a blog for the production.

Choosing the play turned out to be a little difficult. I read the play recently and liked it a lot, but thought it might be too much of a light comedy (though that's not a genre I've tried before, so why not?!). I looked around for various alternate suggestions, including asking all my lovely NODA colleagues for their ideas.

Stoppard's On The Razzle cropped up as a choice from various places. I read the play and liked it a lot, though it will be more difficult to cast from our current membership. Ultimately, though, I just didn't connect with On The Razzle. It's a shame, as I'm sure it is a very funny play. But as an amateur director, one really has to feel a connection with a play to put it on.

I'm also determined to confound the expectations of those people who say that Lord Arthur is a slight piece of work. It's actually quite a dark comedy and I'll be looking for opportunities to raise our production above something which might be produced by "the pantomime crowd", as one acquaintance very neatly put it!

No comments: