Friday 9 November 2007

RoboSkype

A collegue showed me this robot which she is going to get to play with this weekend (her husband works with miniature cameras and the like. I guess he must be a secret agent!).

You can control it from an Internet connection anywhere in the world, look through its 'eyes' and send it remote commands, including getting it to play MP3 sound files.

Which is all well and good, but I wonder what the main use will be... It's certainly no guard-dog. If you do happen to log-on at the exact moment that a burglar is ransacking your house he's unlikely to be scared by the RoboCop sample that you play at him from your beach hut in Goa. He's more likely to just stomp on it, or steal it.

It's built and marketed by Meccano and it extensible, so it's possible to build it a remote-controlled gun, but that's just asking for trouble.

If I had one, knowing my luck, I'd come back from my holiday to find that my robot had changed the locks and invited all his robot chums round, kicking me and MLYW out on the street. Robot bastards!

No comments: